Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Perils of Posting

The interwebs can be a wonderful place where you can find out Bradley Cooper's major at Georgetown, where the best Thai food in Boston can be devoured and keep in touch with your not so nearest and somewhat dearest with Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc.

My how small the world has become in just a few years!

We keep things relatively anonymous in the Breaking Newsroom. Mainly because I can't afford to pay Mr. News Readin's agent 4% for using his mug for mass consumption. True story. That guy is a piranha - but gets the job done.

Many of you do share images of you, your family and friends. Well - you may just find yourself emblazoned on outdoor boards in a foreign country if that Kodak moment is commercial print quality.

Check out this Mommy blogger's story.

Needless to say after that tale - the Breaking News Team will remain faceless. And if you can't take the suspense...I've got six spots left on Facebook before I shut 'er down. I'm serious. (Email me: mrs dot newsreadin at gmail dot com)

Not sure how I would feel if that happened to me and my family? What about you?
Inquiring minds would like to know...


Stay tuned. More at 11.

10 comments:

a. said...

I e-mailed you re: Facebook!

I purposely do not post photos of myself and if I had any kids I wouldn't post photos of them at all. I rarely posted photos of the dog on my blog! Scary.

That's what Facebook is for - it's a closed forum where you can pick and choose who sees your photos.

PaperCourt said...

I'm staying anonymous...that is scary.

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Weird! The lawyer in me is fascinated by the copyright issues and stuff behind this, but the human being part (what's left of it) is horrified. Hence, no photos of moi posted; I debate reversing that occasionally, but stories like this confirm the fears.

If I remember tonight, I will send you a FB email!

Debra said...

Wow, I am not sure how I would feel either. It's scary, flattering, weird - all rolled into one. I think my first thought was 'how dare they?' I find it unprofessional for a business to do that but what if they did buy it from someone else (scum) unknowingly.

I have been leary of using real names on my blog & pictures. But I have loosened up on the pictures lately. Time to stop that, I think...

Ned said...

I posted about this too. SCARY! I post photos all the time...

What Kate Wore said...

The perils are such that we post no photos other than those making it impossible to know who we are; one exception are those on a friend's FB page.

Anonymous is the best policy IMHO!
tp

Kim said...

Well, I have about 100 readers, most from the same place everyday so I'm not too concerned about it. Plus, we're just not that cute. Or at least I'm not!

GrannySmithGreen said...

That is crazy! You, like me, won't be posting pics on our blogs! Part of me would like the fun of "show and tell" on the blogs, but the world's just too big! Have you checked out who's reading your blog, via Google Analytics? Scary!

BLC :o said...

Oh dear! Xoxo-BLC

The Mrs. said...

Please. I wish I could be on the grocery store add in the czech republic! HA! Just kidding. No seriously. KIDDING.