Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Gossip Girl goes Hardcover Historical

Lately, I have had a hankering for historical reading material - but with some flair.
I picked this up before our trip and am totally engrossed - the parties, the homes, the sex, the lies, the gossip...the jewels. It's way better than Page Six and Perez.



It's mildly amusing to read names like Rockefeller, Vanderbilt and Morgan used as examples of the nouveau riche. Greg King, gives great perspective to their fortuitous financial situations by providing 2008 numbers. (Could you spend $962,000 on clothing? I pride myself on my retail prowess and doubt I could do it without being hospitalized from exhaustion.)

He also gives the addresses of the incredible homes they built in New York. Amazing to know what still stands and has a new lease on life (Bergdorf Goodman) and what is sadly long gone.

If you are looking for the real-deal Waldorf's, this is for you...

Happy reading!

6 comments:

a. said...

This looks really good!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Ooh, this is right up my reading alley. I was just going to pick up "The Last Mrs. Astor", but this looks even better.

PS - The "Gossip Girl" nouveau moments just slay me . . . like the giant "PRADA" sign in Serena's family apartment. Not that I watch that show or anything.

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

Looks yummy! I love historical fiction movies, too, and I was on a Marie Antoinette kick (books and movies) for a while.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh! I can't wait to read it.

The Mrs. said...

Sounds fabulous!

K and/or K said...

Sounds good to me! Is there a Chuck Bass in these pages?